Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day Five: The Other Parents

Well, I didn't post yesterday. And it wasn't due to technical difficulties. I was all excited after doing a walk through for a fabulous party that I'm helping with in December. So I was working on my business cards so I could try and look all official and things. Now everything is done and ordered and here I am again! (Oh, and the fabulous event is a fun wedding industry networking party hosted by Urban Style Wedding Network on December 12! If you're local and in the industry, you should definitely get your tickets here!)
 
 
And just to be clear, I am thankful for these things every day. I know that I may not always show it or express it as often as I would like, but I really am. Whenever I am having a rough day or I'm angry about something, I take a second to thank God for all that He has given me and it calms me down and helps me power through.
 
So, on with today's (or yesterday, if you're being technical) thankfulness shout out!
 
I am thankful for my other parents, my Midwest parents, The Rosners.
 
 
I first met Trish and Mike on my first visit out to West Lafayette, Indiana. It was a Saturday morning, game day, and probably around 10am when they came over to Andrew's apartment. Since I went to a school that didn't have school spirit of any sort (at least then) I loved the fact that people tailgated starting at 7 in the morning. Not for the drinking aspect of it, but more for the camaraderie. People in the Midwest and South and East Coast are passionate about their football and their team; something you don't really find in San Diego when you have a zillion choices of things to do any given day. And since Mike was a Purdue alumni and Andrew was enrolled there, he had season tickets and he lived in CLEVELAND. He would drive every. weekend. to watch them play football. That's dedication, folks.
 
 
Anyways, I digress. It was a Saturday morning, game day, so we were just getting up and getting going. We spent nearly the whole day with them and it was a blast! Right off the bat I knew that they were different than my parents when the first thing Trish asked me was if I wanted an Ice when I came down the stairs that morning. :)
 
 
I've always admired them and their relationship with Andrew. It was different than the one I had my parents, when we were trying to transition from a parent-kid role to more of a friends and mentor role. Trish, Mike, and Andrew had always been less parent-kid. Not to say that they let him do whatever he wanted, far from it! They trusted him and his judgment and were always there regardless of the situation to support him. Everything between the three of them has always been open and honest without judgment, which is a rare find these days. The care and passion for each other is always there, even when they're arguing over things. (Which is mostly over the little things, never over big things!)
 
 
As I get older and my friends start to get married, I realize how blessed I am to be friends with my in-laws. My mom and dad were always considered to be apart of the other's family (at least in my eyes), so I had a good example there. I know Trish has never been the stereotypical mother-in-law who backhandedly forces me to do things or passive aggressively critiques me for the way things are run at the house. And I am so grateful! She has picked up on the fact that I'm quiet and nonintrusive , but has always included me in on things to make me feel apart of situations, which I have a hard time with sometimes.
 
 
It would have been impossibly for Andrew or me to be in this relationship without their help and support. Not only financially, but emotionally too. They have bought us countless plane tickets when we were long distance. Helped Andrew move cross-country. And have helped us move into this awesome house, which is a blessing in itself.
 
 
I can't wait until Mike retires so they can come out to sunny San Diego and spend abundantly more time with us!! (Yay for the grandkid card!) I love you, other Mom and Dad! Thank you for letting me be a part of your awesome family and for being an excellent example of marriage and family!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment