Friday, January 3, 2014

Holidays in Review: Thanksgiving

Wow. I can't believe it. Well, I can believe that I didn't finish my November Thanksgiving posts. So, I'm sure I'll be getting back to those because I did create a list and there are a lot of people that are very dear to me on that list that deserve a shout out!
 
Thanksgiving and December have come and gone, as well as 2013! The holidays are my absolute favorite time of the year. I love all the preparation, decoration, and anticipation that the season brings, but also love when the festivity is over and I can sit back in my still-decorated house, watch Owen play with his new toys, and finally breathe!
 
Two days before Thanksgiving we were able to squeeze in a Disney trip and dinner with our favorite Jaime! It's such a treat whenever we get to see her! I'm so glad her dad still lives out in LA so she has more of an "obligation" to come out to the best coast from Florida. :) It honestly feels like we just saw each other last week whenever we do get together. She is one of my best friends from college, and I know I'm not the best at staying in contact with people, so it means a lot when she lets me know when she's in the area!

The Mouse himself!
 
Mommy & Owen on the carousel


Daddy & Owen on King Arthur's Carousel
 
With Jaime in front of the Grand California Hotel's Christmas tree!
 
Starting with Thanksgiving, we normally have "orphans" over. Ever since we've lived in San Diego my family invites those that we work with and go to school with who don't have family in the area or won't be going home for Thanskgiving with their families. This was the first year that we had no one else over! I think because of that we didn't do the typical things, like walk to the park and play touch football, but I was okay with that. I think Owen found his new favorite holiday, as well, since he had seconds of EVERYTHING! Like last year, I made him a turkey onesie out of his handprint. We would ask him where the turkey was and he'd look down and pull at his shirt. So precious. Especially since he still does that!
The creating of the onesie
After seconds
 
This year we did go over to some family friend's house before we ate our dinner. They were supposed to come over and have dinner with us, but since they had just brought their premature baby girl home, they were still homebound and not really given permission by the nurse to take her out in the world yet. They have another daughter, a three year old, whom Owen loved spending time with though! They played in her room... On her chalkboard, in her play kitchen, and reading books together! She did get a little tired of Owen and asked me if I could tell him to leave near the end of the visit. It was kind of cute and I couldn't help but laugh!
 
Holding hands while walking to her room
Playing in the kitchen!
 
Black Friday starts earlier than Friday for us, but is always spent going to Target with Annie and Scot! Amber came with us this year, too, and like usual my brother was kind enough to drop off and pick us up. Needless to say, we got a lot of good deals (bought 8 Keurig boxes for $8 each!) and got things kicked off for Christmas. My mom and I go to the mall on actual Black Friday; Victoria's Secret bag is always first on the list (and I LOVE it this year!), Bath and Body Works "Winter" candles, and then whatever else we want to check out at the clothing stores.
 
First Christmas toy of the season
Thanksgiving is always the kick-off to the holiday season to me, so I love it because of that reason. I think I'm loving it more as an adult because I love the food more (I was a really picky eater and only ate the cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes when I was younger) and also because I have an awesome family of my own to share it with.
 
My family!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment