Saturday, January 4, 2014

Holidays in Review: Pre Christmas

December is filled with the traditional things that really didn't become traditions until a few years ago. I'm sure things will change over the years when Owen can vocalize what he likes to do and with what will be compatible with our schedules. But for now I absolutely love our traditions that are spent with our most favorite people!
 
Owen and I got to go to Disneyland with my little, Julie, that first week in December! It was a quick, afternoon trip but such are the perks when you have a pass! We got to see some of the characters, ride some tamer rides, and eat churros! It's always a blast to spend time with Julie since she's so busy with school and work! I can't wait for her to come back home. :)
Big, Little, Littlest in front of the tree!
 
Sorcerer Mickey!
 
Goofy outside of his house was new to us!
 
The first weekend is also reserved for Balboa Park's December Nights. For the past few years we've always gone/met up with our dear friend, Annie. We would go with Scot, but he's always busy! This year Owen was only happy when he was in Granddaddy's arms. We tried to take pictures with him in front of the Dr, Seuss tree, but he was a squirmy worm. He even gave Annie the "all done" sign when she was holding him. Still feel bad about that, but she knows he loves her. :)
Family!
 
Friends!
 
 We visited the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, since all the museums are free during those nights. It's essentially a kid's museum, so I figured that there would be things in there to entertain Owen as well as everyone else in the group! And of course there was right when we walked in. He loved the beach ball being blown around and one lady even said it was more fun watching the baby than playing with the actual contraption! We found the baby area, which was actually really cool. They had a super market with shopping carts and fake food, a musical area with a huge magnetic board with alphabet letters, wooden cars to climb on, and a super neat ball contraption that sucked up the plastic balls, shot them through clear piping, and dumped them against the wall so they would fall down Plinko style. It was really cool!
 
Enjoying the beach ball contraption with Granddaddy
  
In front of some cool toys at Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
 
The church we attend, Pomerado Christian Church, hosts a Christmas breakfast for the little kids called Angel Breakfast. Since at least 2011, maybe 2010, I’ve been asked to play the angel and Andrew's been asked to be the photographer. I get to interact with kids while they eat breakfast, read the Christmas story to the kids, and take pictures with them! Since I’ve been doing it for at least 3 years, I’ve gotten the chance to see the kids grow up. A few even have baby siblings now! I’m not sure how much longer I’ll get the privilege of being the angel, so I cherish it every year. This year since Owen is a bit older, my parents brought him by for the end of the program where the sing Christmas carols. It was fun to have him there and I can’t wait for when he’s old enough to visit the angel!  

After Angel Breakfast

 
 Andrew's work party was the same night as Angel Breakfast. Luckily for me we have some awesome babysitters that can watch him overnight if we need them to! (Thanks Mom & Dad!) So we had breakfast over at my parents', said goodbye to Owen, and headed back home to get ready for the evening. It was certainly an eventful evening, but over all it was a lot of fun and I got to meet an awesome couple from his work!
  
Us in front of the Christmas tree
 
At the beginning of the month (technically way before), I was given the awesome opportunity to work with Urban Style Wedding Network and Classically Lovely Events on their Urban Lofty Holiday networking party! There will be another post about that, so stay tuned. Since the first few weeks of the month was filled with doing things for the event, I was on a bit of a crafting hangover and really didn't do anything for presents until I realized it was Christmas Eve in two days. So, friends, I'm sorry, your gifts will be coming soon ;)

 
Sneak peek!
  
The next weekend we tried to squeeze in our Santa pictures with the Kuglers. Last year we went up to Orange County for Santa pictures, fondue, and presents! This year, since things were a bit tight with their schedule and ours, so by the time they were down it was time for dinner and bed for the little boys. We still enjoyed our fondue (I always forget how long it takes!) and James and Owen opened their presents the next morning.
Tearing into the presents!
 
Enjoying Owen's new book set!
 
The week before Christmas, my brother graduated from college! I was sad we couldn't be there, but glad that he understood and told us not to make the drive over. My parents drove over to Tempe and my Grammy flew out from Mississippi to see him walk. He graduated from ASU with 2 degrees and honors in 4.5 years... don't tell him, but that's pretty cool to me, even though it's from ASU. :P
Proud parents!
 
The graduate
 
On the Saturday before Christmas, the 21st, we were invited over to Annie's for a family Christmas morning. It was so much fun, even though it was early! Annie and Scot were going to be gone for Christmas and New Years, so they had family and friends over to celebrate, eat breakfast, and exchange presents with them. I loved it, and I'm totally okay if they want to do it again next year! The Christmas morning part... Not the cruise over the holidays part.
 
Owen and Scot... The only picture on my phone from that morning
 
That night was spent with some of my favorite ladies! We did a Secret Santa with our group of girls, so that Saturday we all got together for dinner, presents, photo booth, conversation, and Elf! It was so great to see everyone and I'm still waiting for those pictures, Michelle! :)
 
It turned into a footie PJ party! Michelle & Ryan
 
Playing with James' zoo
 
Bouncing on the airmattress with help from Ryan!
 
And somehow during this part of the month we managed to cram in books, playing, being goofy, a Purdue basketball game, shopping, decorating for Christmas, piano playing, snuggling with the kitties, and a celebratory graduation dinner at Melting Pot!
 
Playing piano with some help from a chocolate moose!

Climbing into his toy box was one of his favorite things.

The newest Purdue baby model
 
Family!

Love these guys!

Dessert fondue was the favorite for this tired baby!
 
 
 


Christmas and New Year's recap is next! :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment