Monday, August 19, 2013

Owen's First Birthday: The Party!

Thank goodness for my family and friends (mainly Scot) who arrived early enough for me to actually put my party planning vision to life!

The party was a huuuge success (at least in my book). Granted, the last kid's party that I went to I was a guest at, but it seemed like everyone had a great time.

After everyone started to trickle in (of course there was bad traffic that day), we got started on the dogs! Grampa made sure the hot dogs were cooked thoroughly and we used our little hot dog spinny thing (real technical here) to keep them nice and warm. Plus the canopy doubled to warm up the buns!

(Again, the photos are correct on my computer, but upload crooked! :( )

My parents got a swing for Owen, so my dad hung that up while he was hanging up the paper lanterns. We gave it a test ride while everyone was mixing and mingling and then let our friend Carter take a turn as well! I'm so happy we have the swing! Now Owen has a place to sit and watch the wind blow through the trees (one of his favorite things to do outside)


And since we only had one "older" kid in attendance, I set up a Mickey Mouse bowling game for her. Super simple thing that took me about 10 minutes to make. I put some sand at the bottom of it because I thought that they'd blow over, but that made them impossible to knock down! Anyways, Alli enjoyed her game and made new friends with my brother and his girlfriend. :)

After some hanging out time, we moved to the cake! During "Happy Birthday" Owen decided to help us out with the "singing". Although the pictures may depict him as being afraid of all of us singing at him, he was actually yelling back at us!

Side-eyeing us blowing out his candle!

I made cupcakes and Owen's cake from scratch. Owen's was a layered vanilla and chocolate cake. Once the initial tests showed that it was indeed edible, that hand did. not. stop. shovelling cake into his mouth! Andrew and I took pictures with him and he just ate the whole time!



Needless to say, he was a mess after eating almost half the cake. (Nope, he didn't stop, we had to make him!) Gramsie cleaned him up, Granddaddy assisted with a wardrobe change, and he was good to go again!



Presents were had and enjoyed. I think his favorite at the time was the box that his Little People zoo came in. Once that present was open, he was all about looking at the box!


And then he clapped his appreciation! Such a spoiled boy :)

After presents, everyone mixed and mingled some more... Owen's bestfriend finnnally woke up (the kid slept through everything!), so the boys got to hang out and discover the wonderfulness of balloons together. And we got to play in the photobooth :)




Owen was running on empty near the end there, even with all of that cake, so we put him down for his first(!) "nap" of the day after some play time with bestfriend James. Some of our friends stuck around later, so we ordered Chinese food and cleaned up the kitchen (a big thank you to Michelle!) and then got ready for our big Disneyland day!












No comments:

Post a Comment